In recent years, consumers have been demanding more eco-friendly initiatives from businesses. As a result, adopting more sustainable practices has become essential for companies to thrive. Many manufacturers have begun incorporating more sustainable practices into their packing processes by utilizing recycled materials, finding ways to reduce packaging and other actions. Here, our team at Econo-Pak discusses what sustainable product packaging is, why it’s important, and how you can incorporate sustainability into your packaging process.
What Is Sustainable Packaging?
Sustainable packaging in general refers to packaging that doesn’t further reduce the earth’s natural resources. There are many possible steps companies can take to make their packaging process more sustainable. These include choosing packaging made from recycled materials, minimizing unnecessary excess packaging, and optimizing production materials and energy usage. Packaging is also considered sustainable if it is produced and transported using renewable energy, and if it doesn’t pose any health risks through the use of toxic chemicals.
In the packaging industry, being more sustainable can be achieved through simple steps, such as eliminating as much production waste as possible and making sure packaging materials are FDA-approved food safe and able to be recycled. Working with suppliers who have eliminated toxic chemicals from their packaging, or who utilize flexible packaging are other good ideas.
Importance of Sustainability in Packaging
Packaging choices have a significant impact on the environment as well as people’s health. Each year an enormous amount of packaging ends up in landfills and the ocean. Producing packaging materials can also use lots of resources, which contributes to environmental problems. Additionally, the chemicals used in certain types of packaging materials have been linked to severe health issues.
By choosing more eco-friendly materials and processes, companies can not only protect the environment and consumers’ health, but they can also save money. Sustainable packaging is often more lightweight, which translates to reduced shipping costs and less required storage space. Consumers also respond positively to sustainable packing options, which can translate into more sales.
Incorporating Sustainability in Your Packaging Processes
Companies around the world are finding innovative new packaging ideas that benefit the environment. For example, some companies are adopting reusable containers that consumers can refill at the store, or finding ways to recycle waste products, such as old fishing nets, into containers that were previously made from plastic. Several companies are also working on improving the recycling process for polyurethane. Overall, there are lots of exciting innovations happening in the packaging industry.
There are several ways for companies to begin incorporating more sustainability into their packaging processes.
- First, begin switching to packaging materials that are easily recyclable, or have already been made from recycled materials.
- Next, take a look at how your products are currently packaged and see if there are any packaging components you could reduce or eliminate. You could also switch to flexible packaging, which cuts down on space and shipping weight.
- Finally, seek out sustainable packaging companies and choose manufacturing partners who are optimizing their processes to use fewer resources.
The packaging industry has undergone many changes in recent years. As more importance is placed on environmentally friendly manufacturing practices, companies are changing their packaging processes to be more sustainable. Consumers love seeing products that have been produced sustainably. By switching to sustainable packaging materials, minimizing excess packaging, and working with eco-friendly packaging specialists, companies can help save the environment while cutting down on costs.
Econo-Pak offers sustainable food and product packaging with efficient production times and a wide selection of packaging materials. We can help you select packaging that reduces excess shipping weight and waste, and meets the criteria for sustainability. If you’re ready to switch to find a more eco-friendly solution for your packaging, submit a request for a quote.
Bulk packaging has been a popular packing method in commercial food distribution for years. More recently, individual consumers have shifted to buying in bulk. While consumer demand for bulk packaging was already growing, the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in new buying patterns that increased that demand exponentially. As more buyers experience the benefits of bulk food containers, food packaging providers must innovate to offer quality bulk packaging that supports changing consumer and commercial purchasing practices.
Benefits Of Bulk Packaging
Bulk packaging offers a long list of benefits, including:
- Protection from moisture. Polypropylene features high water resistance, making it common bulk packaging material for its ability to protect products from moisture and prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Pest-free protection. Insects and other pests can wreak havoc on food products. Quality packaging that prevents infestations is essential to reduce product loss. Pest prevention also facilitates long-term storage for consumers who buy in bulk.
- Durability. Bulk packaging features enhanced strength to withstand the rigors and rough handling associated with transportation and warehousing.
- Improved worker safety. Shipping and storing large product quantities causes physical strain on workers. However, durable bulk packaging is designed with worker safety as a top priority. The containers often have handles and loops that allow workers to move the bulk products with shared lifting practices or mechanical equipment to reduce the risk of injury.
- Less consumer waste. Buying in bulk decreases the amount of packaging found on individually packaged items. Additionally, many bulk packaging containers are reusable, so they won’t end up in landfills.
Common Types of Bulk-Packaged Products
Many businesses use wholesale product packaging to easily ship their products to retailers in a way that compliments their brands. Bulk packaging is also applied to a range of food products, allowing consumers to purchase multiples of the same product in one convenient box or bag. The following types of products benefit the most from bulk packaging:
- Non-perishable foods. Cans containing non-perishable food items are one of the most common items found in bulk. Using bulk packaging for cans facilitates easier transportation and less product damage.
- Bottles. The cylindrical design of bottles makes them inconvenient to purchase in high volumes individually. This design also makes loose bottles prone to rolling or getting knocked over, leading to potential product loss during shipping or while sitting on shelves. Bulk packaging materials encase bottles to reduce these unfortunate events. Shrink wrapping is a popular way to package bottles while maintaining product visibility through the packaging.
- Jars. Products often sold in jars must be handled with care due to the breakable nature of glass containers. Wholesale packaging provides glass jars extra protection to reduce the risk of breaking.
- Home supplies. Home essentials, such as paper towels and toilet paper, are some of the most widely consumer-purchased bulk products. Shoppers benefit from buying home supplies in bulk by saving trips to the store, while manufacturers benefit from reduced packaging material and labor costs.
- Powders. Bulk powder packaging often relies on vertical form fill seal or pouch packaging and filling services. This wholesale packaging method facilitates the packaging of large volumes of powdered goods quickly and effectively.
Econo-Pak’s Bulk Packaging Experts
There are many advantages of incorporating bulk packaging for your products. When deciding on wholesale packaging solutions for your business, it is essential to work with knowledgeable professionals with experience in the market.
At Econo-Pak, we have over 30 years of experience providing bulk packaging solutions. Our team has a commitment to innovation and quality, delivering packaging solutions to meet your unique needs. Our designers will work with you to find the best bulk food packaging for your product.
Please request a quote to learn more about our bulk packaging capabilities and how they can benefit your business.