Flexible packaging has significantly grown in popularity in the food and beverage industry. Due to its many benefits, it is often the packaging of choice for various food products on a domestic and global level.
Flexible Food Packaging
By using non-rigid materials to package food, manufacturers are better able to customize the container to fit the product and the brand. Flexible packaging is available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials, and it can be created in either formed or unformed configurations. Formed packaging is pre-shaped and can be filled and sealed in-house, whereas unformed packaging comes on a roll that is sent to co-packers for forming and filling.
Types of flexible packaging include:
- Sample Pouches. These small heat-sealed packets are usually pre-formed for easy in-house packing and filling.
- Printed Pouches. These are sample pouches that have been customized with branding information for marketing purposes.
- Sachets. These flat packets are common for single-use pharmaceuticals and personal care products. They are also ideal for sample sharing in-store and at trade shows.
- Printed Roll Stock. These arrive in an unformed roll that is already printed with product and branding information. The co-packer forms, fills, and seals them.
- Stocks Bags. Stock bags are blank formed bags or pouches. They can be used as-is or you can add a label with branding and product information.
Flexible food packaging materials can be used to package a wide range of products, including:
- Baby Food
- Chocolate and Candy
- Beef Jerky
- Crackers, Cookies, and Snacks
- Grains and Flour
- Baking Mixes and Dry Foods
- Cereal and Granola
- Vegetables, Fruits, and Nuts
- Cheese and Meat Products
- Seasonings and Spices
- Soups, Sauces, and Salad Dressings
Flexible containers offer incredible versatility and flexibility. This is important in the food and beverage industry as companies strive to differentiate their products in a competitive space while ensuring the items stay fresh and protected from damage.
Benefits of Flexible Food Containers
Flexible packaging offers a number of benefits, including:
- Consumers Love It. Flexible packaging is extremely consumer-friendly. Upright flexible pouches make it easy to access snacks or baking ingredients, while resealable packaging ensures freshness, prevents spills, and keeps out contaminants.
- Simplified Shipping and Handling. Lightweight flexible packaging is easier and more cost-effective to transport. This not only helps you save money but also reduces your carbon footprint due to less fuel consumption.
- Customizable Barrier Properties. Custom films and other barrier materials can protect your product from light, air, or moisture.
- Good for Branding. From custom graphics that highlight your brand to clear windows that allow consumers to see the product inside, flexible containers are easily customized for effective branding.
- Environmentally Friendly. The amount of greenhouse gases used to produce flexible packaging is lower compared to producing traditional packaging materials.
- Increased Shelf Life and Freshness. Barriers and resealable openings keep out UV light, moisture, dust, and more to ensure the product stays fresher, longer.
- Lower Production Costs. Flexible packages are easier to form and require less material than rigid packages, reducing production time, waste, and energy consumption.
Flexible Packaging Industries
Along with the food and beverage industry, many other industries benefit from using flexible packaging. These include:
- Cosmetics. Resealable packages can be used for cotton pads and make-up removing wipes while flexible sample pouches can be used for foundation, concealer, lotion, and serum.
- Personal Care. Sample pouches are ideal for single-use medications and personal products.
- Household Cleaning. Flexible packaging offers an ideal solution for single-use detergent packets, cleaning powder, and more.
- Pet Food Packaging. Flexible pouches and packages are suitable for containing dog food and treats.
Flexible Packaging from Econo-Pak
For more than 30 years, Econo-Pak has specialized in contract packaging, with a focus on becoming the premier food repackaging company in the country. Over the years, our family-owned and operated company has partnered with clients both large and small, including Fortune 500 companies and independent firms, in a range of industries. With 240,000 square feet of production space and over 200 different packaging machines, we can offer packaging solutions to meet your specifications, no matter the size or scope.
To learn more about our flexible packaging capabilities for the food and beverage industry, request a quote today.