An extremely versatile secondary packaging solution, overwrapping can greatly enhance visual appeal, shelf life, and bundling options in the food industry. Overwrapping, the application of a second layer of packaging over a product, allows for optimal freshness and hygiene while offering a wide range of other benefits. It can also be used to combine two or more small packages into a multi-pack.
BENEFITS OF OVERWRAP PACKAGING
Besides its ability to be used as a combiner, which makes it ideal for applications such as large packages of bottled beverages, overwrapping can greatly enhance traditional forms of packaging — and, in some cases, can even eliminate the need for them altogether. Through the use of flexible materials and custom sealing, overwrapping allows for the following benefits in the food industry:
- Aroma Control — Overwrapping can be used to create a near-hermetic seal to effectively prevent cross-contamination and the release of odor.
- Tamper Protection — Applying a seal nearly impossible to duplicate once broken will protect against contamination and easily alert workers and consumers to unsafe packages.
- Extended Shelf Life — Protecting contents from environmental hazards and airborne bacteria, overwrapping allows for longer shelf life, saving companies both time and money.
- Reduced Costs — By eliminating the need for more elaborate designs or heavier packaging materials, overwrapping results in lower costs and simpler labor operations.
- Ease of Use — Easy-open or resealable options using design elements such as tear tape allow for simple, convenient user access.
- Custom Promotional Features — Overwrapping provides opportunities for enhanced hand-wrapped or high-end design effects, as well as product bundling and the addition of eye-catching marketing messages.
- Eco-friendliness — Overwrapping utilizes less packing material than traditional solutions, and is available in biodegradable and eco-friendly forms.
Compared to shrink wrapping and other wrapping styles, overwrapping provides a cleaner, sleeker appearance and a more professional finish.
A wide range of materials can be used to customize overwrapping packaging. Depending upon the application, the following materials can be used:
- Medical-grade film
- FDA-approved food-contact barriers
- Standard clear, colored, or printed film
- Easy-open films
- Tamper-proof or security film
- Dust-, oil-, or grease-resistant material
- Water-resistant material
- Specialty merchandising or branded films
OVERWRAPPING AND PACKAGE DESIGN SERVICES FROM ECONO-PAK
Fresh aesthetics, reliable performance, and cost efficiency are at the heart of a good packaging design, and the team at Econo-Pak Team is committed to developing customized solutions for your specific products. Whether overwrapping for aesthetics, preservation, or standard protection purposes, we’ll work to find the best way to make your packaging stand out.
With top-of-the-line technology, over three generations of family business experience, and a full team of in-house designers and engineers, Econo-Pak leads the industry in modern food repackaging. To learn more about our overwrapping options, other in-house packaging services, or our custom design team’s capabilities, check out our package design page or reach out to us today.
DIVERSE PACKAGING SOLUTIONS
We offer a broad variety of contract packaging services, working with inventory like vitamins, seeds, and pouch fillings to all other types of products. Our goal is to get our customers’ products to market as quickly and efficiently as possible while meeting or exceeding the industry’s highest standards of quality.
Our contract packaging solutions cover almost every packaging need. With over 240,000 total square feet of production floor space and 200 different packaging machines, we can meet the specifications of virtually any project — regardless of size or scope.